Saturday, September 11, 2010

IJS and August/September

Last Sunday, my family and I left our church of 9 years. We love everyone at our "old" church, and we hope to continue our friendships with them. Last week there were only ourselves, our Pastor's family and 6 other people, 4 of which will most likely not be at the church in a few months. So it is not a mega-church, which means we have developed close friendships with the people there. It's odd but I'm excited about this new season of going to a different church. This week we visited a church, and it was an adjustment having to wake up extra early on a Sunday.

My family and I have a pretty boring life. I'm going into my 5th week of school, and the sessions are only 6 weeks long! This session I've been taking "Life of Christ" and "Holocaust and Anti-Semitism". I'm learning in both classes, but I'm enjoying "Holocaust and Anti-Semitism" the most. I think the reason is I enjoy recent history. There are about 11 students in that class, 3 of which are ladies. We are about age 72, 52, and 19. In "Life of Christ" there are 19 students. I've always been the youngest in all my IJS classes. Fall break is coming up real soon, which means I need to start working on my final papers for these classes.

My first week of class, Daddy and Mommy went to Pittsburgh. The day before they left Je and I went and got Grandma and brought her home with us. She stayed a week with us, as our Aunt and Uncle were gone that week. Je and I got to take care of Grandma and we had a blast doing it. Having Grandma visiting encouraged me to get my school done, so I could play with her. It was also my best first week of school ever. My 1st class with IJS I had a ton going on right before I started school and on my 2nd class I was sick the first week.

The family's camera broke in May, so we've been using Je's camera. So any recent photographs, are from her camera.
Je and I made homemade bread for the first time. I found a recipe for challah (Jewish Sabbath bread) this spring, and it took until the end of the summer for me to actually make the bread. It was quite a bit of work, but a ton of fun feeling the dough in my hands. We couldn't decided what exactly to use the 2 loaves for (they each were so big, only 1 fit on a cookie sheet), so we froze them. Now we use them for homemade garlic bread (I don't think that's the intened use for challah, but we enjoy it).

No comments: